In this article we are going to have An Overview of Python for Gaming, Python is popular programming language and it is used in different industries including web development, data science and artificial intelligence. but Python is also a great choice for game development, because it is simple and easy to use, in this article we are going to provide an overview of Python for gaming and talk about its advantages and limitations.
Advantages of Python for Gaming:
So now let’s talk about advantages of Python for Gaming
- Easy to Learn: Python is simple language that is easy to learn. Its syntax is easy to read and understand, which makes it perfect for beginners, we can say that Python syntax is like English.
- Cross-Platform Support: Python supports multiple operating systems including Windows, Linux and Mac OS. this means that games developed using Python can be played on different platforms and this makes it easier for developers to reach a lot of audience.
- Numerous Libraries: Python has a lot of collections of libraries that can be used for game development, including Pygame, PyOpenGL and PyOgre. these libraries provides different functionalities that can be used to create engaging and interactive games.
- Rapid Prototyping: Python is ideal for rapid prototyping because it allows developers to quickly build and test ideas. this can help speed up the game development process and improve efficiency.
- Community Support: Python has large community of developers who are always willing to help and share their knowledge and this makes Python easier for developers to find solutions to problems they encounter during game development.
Limitations of Python for Gaming:
We have talked about Python advantages for game development, now let’s talk about limitations of Python for Gaming.
- Performance: Python is an interpreted language, which means it is slower than compiled languages like C++ or Java and this can make it challenging to develop high performance games that requires real time processing.
- Limited Graphics Capabilities: While Python has libraries that can be used for game development, it is not as powerful as some other game engines, such as Unity or Unreal Engine. this can limit the graphics capabilities of games developed using Python.
- Memory Management: Python has automatic memory management, which means it can be difficult to optimize memory usage for games that require large amounts of data. this can lead to performance issues and slow down the game.
Top 3 Python Game Engine
Now let’s talk about Python Top 3 Game Engines.
There are several game engines available for Python, but these are three popular ones that developers often use:
- Pygame: Pygame is popular game engine that is built on top of the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library. It is easy to learn and use and this makes it great choice for beginners. Pygame provides different features, including graphics and sound libraries, event handling and sprite animations. it is also cross platform compatible and supports Windows, Linux and macOS.
- Cocos2D : Cocos2D is an open source game development framework for building 2D games for mobile and desktop platforms. it was initially developed for the iPhone platform in 2008 and has since been ported to different other platforms such as Android, Windows and Mac OS X. Cocos2D is written in Python programming language and uses OpenGL for rendering graphics. this framework provides different tools and features for game development, including physics engine, sprite handling, animation, particle systems, audio support and user input handling.
- Arcade: Arcade is simple and easy game engine that is designed for 2D games. it provides features such as sprite animation, collision detection and user input handling. Arcade also offers builtin physics engine that can be used to create physics based games. it is cross platform compatible and supports Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Now let’s create basic examples on these Python Game Engines, we are going to start from Pygame, first of all you need to install Pygame and you can use pip for the installation.
pip install pygame
Now let’s create our example, basically this code creates a window of size 640×480, sets up player object and allows the player to move object around using the arrow keys. game loop updates the player’s position and redraws the player object on the screen. when the user clicks the X button on the window, the game exits.
# Set up window
window_size = (640, 480)
screen = pygame.display.set_mode(window_size)
# Set up player
player_size = 50
player_position = [window_size / 2, window_size - player_size]
# Mov the player
keys = pygame.key.get_pressed()
if keys[pygame.K_LEFT] and player_position > 0:
player_position -= 5
if keys[pygame.K_RIGHT] and player_position < window_size - player_size:
player_position += 5
if keys[pygame.K_UP] and player_position > 0:
player_position -= 5
if keys[pygame.K_DOWN] and player_position < window_size - player_size:
player_position += 5
# Game loop
running = True
for event in pygame.event.get():
if event.type == pygame.QUIT:
running = False
screen.fill((255, 255, 255)) # Fill screen with white
move_player() # Move the player
pygame.draw.rect(screen, (0, 0, 255),
(player_position, player_position, player_size, player_size)) # Draw the player
pygame.display.update() # Update screen
Run your code and you will see this output
Let’s create an example of Cocos2D, first of all we need to install this library using pip like this.
pip install cocos2d
Now this is the simple example, this code creates HelloWorld layer that contains simple game window. the layer is then added to a scene and run using the cocos2d director. when the program is run, a window will appear.
if __name__ == '__main__':
# Initialize the director and create a
# scene with the HelloWorld layer
hello_layer = HelloWorld()
hello_scene = cocos.scene.Scene(hello_layer)
# Run the scene
Run code and this is the result
Even though Python limitations on Gaming, but Python is still an excellent choice for game development, especially for indie developers and small game studios. because Python is simple and it is also easy to learn, also Python is cross platform and has different libraries for game development.
- Python Top 5 Game Libraries
- Cross Platform Game Development Library in Python
- Python Cocos2D Game Development
- Get Started with Pygame