In this Python OpenCV course we are going to have Introduction to Python OpenCV and after that we will go through the installation process of the Open Computer Vision(OpenCV).
What is OpenCV ?
OpenCV is an open source library containing more than 500 optimized algorithms for image and video analysis, OpenCV was developed by intel, you can use OpenCV from displaying the feed of a webcam to teaching a robot to recognize real life objects, according to OpenCV website it is an open source computer vision and machine learning software library. OpenCV was built to provide a common infrastructure for computer vision applications and to accelerate the use of machine perception in the commercial products. Being a BSD-licensed product, OpenCV makes it easy for businesses to utilize and modify the code, also tt has C++, Python, Java and MATLAB interfaces and supports Windows, Linux, Android and Mac OS. OpenCV leans mostly towards real-time vision applications and takes advantage of MMX and SSE instructions when available.
These are some of the key features of Python OpenCV:
- Image and video I/O: OpenCV can read and write different image and video file formats including JPEG, PNG, BMP and MP4.
- Image processing: OpenCV provides different types of image processing functions such as filtering, thresholding, edge detection and color conversion.
- Object detection and tracking: OpenCV includes algorithms for detecting and tracking objects in images and videos such as face detection and pedestrian detection.
- Machine learning: OpenCV has machine learning module that provides support for different machine learning algorithms including decision trees, random forests and support vector machines.
- Deep learning: OpenCV has deep learning module that provides support for popular deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow and PyTorch.
- GUI tools: OpenCV provides GUI tools for displaying and manipulating images and videos such as window and trackbar widgets.
- Performance optimizations: OpenCV is optimized for performance on various hardware platforms, including CPUs and GPUs.
The installation process is so simple and easy, you can use pip for the installation. (Python OpenCV Introduction)
pip install opencv-python