PyQt5 Vs PyQt6 – What are Difference ? PyQt5 and PyQt6 are both sets of Python bindings for the Qt framework, but there are some differences between the two versions.
PyQt5 is the older version of the two and it is currently the most widely used version. It is compatible with Python 2 and Python 3 and it has a stable API. PyQt5 also has a large community and many resources, such as tutorials and forums, which makes it easy to find help and support.
PyQt6, on the other hand, is the newer version of the two and it is not yet as widely adopted as PyQt5. It is compatible with Python 3 only and it has a different API than PyQt5. It also has a smaller community and fewer resources available. However, PyQt6 is designed to be more efficient and faster than PyQt5, and it also has a better support for modern technologies such as QML and 3D graphics.
In summary, PyQt5 is a more mature and stable option with a larger community and more resources available, while PyQt6 is a newer version with improved performance and support for modern technologies.
Is there Any Main Difference Between PyQt5 & PyQt6?
Yes, there are some key differences between PyQt5 and PyQt6. The main differences are:
- Python version compatibility: PyQt5 is compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3, while PyQt6 is compatible with Python 3 only.
- API changes: PyQt6 has a different API than PyQt5, which means that some code written for PyQt5 may not work with PyQt6 without modification.
- Performance improvements: PyQt6 is designed to be more efficient and faster than PyQt5, with improved support for modern technologies such as QML and 3D graphics.
- Qt version: PyQt6 is built against the latest version of Qt which is Qt 6.0, PyQt5 is built against Qt 5
- Community and resources: PyQt5 has a larger community and more resources available, such as tutorials and forums, while PyQt6 is relatively new and has a smaller community.
- Support: PyQt5 is a more mature version and has more support and bug fixes, while PyQt6 is still in development and may not have as much support yet.
Ultimately, the choice between PyQt5 and PyQt6 will depend on your specific needs and requirements. If you have existing code written for PyQt5 and don’t need the performance improvements of PyQt6, then PyQt5 is probably the better choice. But if you’re starting a new project and want to take advantage of the latest features and performance improvements, then PyQt6 may be a better option.
Difference Between Syntax of PyQt5 & PyQt6
PyQt5 and PyQt6 have some differences in terms of their syntax and usage. PyQt5 is built using the Qt 5 library, while PyQt6 is built using the Qt 6 library.
One of the main differences between the two is that PyQt6 uses Python 3, while PyQt5 uses Python 2. This means that PyQt6 code will need to be written with Python 3 syntax and conventions, while PyQt5 code will need to be written with Python 2 syntax and conventions.
Another difference is that PyQt6 has improved support for the latest features and improvements in the Qt 6 library, while PyQt5 is based on the older Qt 5 library. This means that PyQt6 may offer better performance and more features than PyQt5.
In terms of coding, the main difference between PyQt5 and PyQt6 is the naming of some classes and methods. For example, in PyQt5, the QMainWindow class is used to create a main window, while in PyQt6, the QGuiApplication class is used instead. Similarly, in PyQt5, the QDialog class is used to create a dialog box, while in PyQt6, the QDialog class has been replaced by the QInputDialog class.
Overall, PyQt5 is more stable, has more resources and it is more wide spread. PyQt6 is new and it is not fully compatible with PyQt5. You should consider the available support, libraries, and resources before deciding which one to use.
Here is a basic example of creating a window using PyQt5:
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication, QWidget
app = QApplication(sys.argv)
window = QWidget()
And here is the same example using PyQt6:
from PyQt6.QtWidgets import QApplication, QWidget
app = QApplication(sys.argv)
window = QWidget()
Run the code and this will be the result.
As you can see, the main difference between PyQt5 and PyQt6 is that in the import statement and in the syntax, in PyQt5 we use “PyQt5” and in PyQt6 we use “PyQt6” PyQt6 is the latest version of PyQt and is fully compatible with Python 3, it has some new features and bug fixes. You can use both of them but it’s better to use PyQt6 if you are starting a new project.
Also In PyQt6, you’ll notice that the
exec_() method has been removed, and the
exec() method is used instead. Additionally, PyQt6 also introduces some new features such as support for Python 3.10 and Qt 6.0, and improved performance due to the removal of old and unused code.
Learn More on TKinter GUI
- How to Create Conutdown Timer with Python & TKinter
- Create GUI Applications with Python & TKinter
- Python TKinter Layout Management
- How to Create Label in TKinter
- How to Create Buttin in Python TKinter
- Build Music Player in Python TKinter
- How to Build Calculator in Python TKinter
- How to Build Weather App in TKinter