In this lesson we want to talk Which GUI Framework is the best for Python coders.
Which GUI Framework is the best for Python coders
The answer to this question is subjective and depends on a variety of factors, such as the specific requirements of the project, the developer’s personal preferences, and the level of support and community resources available.
That being said, Tkinter is often considered the de-facto standard for building GUI applications in Python due to its simplicity and the fact that it is included with the Python standard library. It is a lightweight and easy-to-use toolkit that allows developers to create simple and functional GUI applications quickly.
Another popular option is PyQt, which is a set of Python bindings for the Qt application framework and runs on all platforms supported by Qt including Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS, and Android. PyQt is a more powerful and feature-rich toolkit than Tkinter and allows developers to create more complex and visually appealing applications.
wxPython is another popular GUI framework for Python, it is an open-source wrapper for the wxWidgets toolkit and provides a similar feature set to PyQt.
Kivy is a free, open-source Python library for creating multi-touch applications with a natural user interface, this library is useful for game development and mobile app development.
So, it’s recommended to evaluate and compare the different options based on the specific requirements of your project, your level of experience, and your personal preferences.
Which Python GUI Framework is Powerful ?
When it comes to the power and capabilities of the different GUI frameworks for Python, PyQt and wxPython are generally considered to be more powerful and feature-rich than Tkinter.
PyQt is a set of Python bindings for the Qt application framework and provides a wide range of features including support for various widgets, layouts, and multimedia, as well as built-in support for networking, web browsing, and other advanced functionality. PyQt also offers a higher level of flexibility and control over the look and feel of the GUI, allowing developers to create more visually appealing and polished applications.
wxPython is another powerful GUI framework for Python, it is an open-source wrapper for the wxWidgets toolkit, it is similar to PyQt in terms of features and capabilities, but it has a slightly different API.
Kivy is powerful for creating multi-touch applications and mobile app development, but it may not be suitable for desktop applications.
In summary, PyQt and wxPython are more powerful and feature-rich than Tkinter, and they are good options for building more complex and visually appealing applications. But Tkinter is a good option for simple and functional GUI applications, it is lightweight and easy to use.
Which Python GUI Framework is Free & Paid ?
Tkinter is a free and open-source GUI framework that comes built-in with the Python standard library.
PyQt is available in both free and paid versions. The free version, called PyQt5 GPL, is released under the GNU General Public License, while the paid version, called PyQt5 Commercial, is available under a commercial license. The commercial version includes additional features and support that are not available in the GPL version.
wxPython is an open-source GUI framework that is released under the wxWindows Library License, which is a modified version of the LGPL. It is free to use for any purpose, including commercial projects.
Kivy is an open-source GUI framework that is released under the MIT license, it is free to use for any purpose, including commercial projects.
In summary, Tkinter, wxPython and Kivy are free and open-source GUI frameworks, PyQt has both free (PyQt5 GPL) and paid (PyQt5 Commercial) versions.
Applications that are Built with Python GUI ?
- Tkinter: Many small desktop applications such as calculators, text editors, and simple games are built using Tkinter, it’s also commonly used in scientific and educational software.
- PyQt: A wide variety of applications have been built using PyQt, including professional-grade desktop software like the popular music player Clementine, the image editor GIMP, and the KDE desktop environment. PyQt is also used in creating business and enterprise software, such as the finance application, Quantlib and the CAD software, FreeCAD.
- wxPython: Some popular applications built using wxPython include the open-source word processor AbiWord, the audio editor Audacity, and the cross-platform IDE wxDev-C++.
- Kivy: Applications that are built using Kivy are usually for mobile and touch devices, some examples of applications are the game, FishLife, and the music player, TuneUp.
It’s worth noting that those are just examples and any of the frameworks could be used to make a wide range of applications. The choice of which framework to use depends on the specific requirements of the project, the skills of the developer, and the availability of resources.
Learn More on TKinter GUI
- How to Create Conutdown Timer with Python & TKinter
- Create GUI Applications with Python & TKinter
- Python TKinter Layout Management
- How to Create Label in TKinter
- How to Create Buttin in Python TKinter
- Build Music Player in Python TKinter
- How to Build Calculator in Python TKinter